Discussion Video game reviews in the pocket of publishers?

Discussion in 'The Games' started by ZirMc, Oct 8, 2013.

1. ZirMc

ZirMc RETIRED Staff Member Guru Recruiter

Money:
    $230
    I came across this little story today: http://www.illgaming.in/2013/10/the-ugly-truth/

Now, the blacklisting has been known for a while. When Duke Nukem Forever was released, some guy threatened to blacklist anyone who gave negative reviews. While 2K game said they left this guy, I am sure they know about this being done, I think this is fairly well known throughout the gaming industry.

For example, GTA V, was a title that got almost perfect 10 in all reviews early on, which is something I find very strange. I mean, I am sure it is a good game, but having perfect reviews all over the line doesn't make sense to me. I have long since stopped trusting "professional reviews", as they are usually wrong (I mean, RAGE got 81 metascore for PS3, but all the game has going for it is the graphics. Loading times are horrible, characters are boring, story is boring, gameplay is meh, yet it still got great reviews).

First article in this post also brought out some other things I did not know, like bonus' being paid out based on metascore, game journalists threating other game journalists with legal action for quoting their tweets in an article critical about game journalism (which got edited out due to the legal threats). Been a long time since I saw a huge discrepancy between what I qualified as a good game, and what a big game site qualified as a good game, so I put more trust in to user reviews than "professional" ones....
  2. nVMrBubbles

nVMrBubbles Recruiter Recruiter

Money:
    $40
    Its hard to tell how editors will rate games. There have been games I loved that were rated poor and games I hate that were given higher rating. I have noticed that for most AAA games that are coming out almost always have 9.5-10 from everyone regardless of the lack of support and buggy release by the developers. I would not be surprised if they were in the pockets of the major publishers.