PC SteamOS Beta Available

Discussion in 'The Platforms' started by ZirMc, Dec 15, 2013.

1. ZirMc

ZirMc RETIRED Staff Member Guru Recruiter

Money:
    $230
    You can now download a beta version of SteamOS, which will be used for SteamBox here. Looking at the install instructions, this is not for the faint of heart and if you really want to try it out you should probably try to find a more detailed tutorial for doing so. It is based on Debian 7.1, which was released in June this year and should be fairly stable. It should run with GNOME desktop environment.

An interesting parts is the minimum system requirement:
    Strange that they only support Nvidia graphic cards so far, especially considering Intel has fairly decent open source drivers available for Linux. My guess in terms of hard drive requirement, that is only a recommendation, as installing games will take up allot of space.

Looking at preview videos it seems like it is more or less designed to run Steam in big picture mode, with an optional toggle where you can access the default Linux desktop, which is more a standard modern desktop.

From my own experience running Steam on Linux, it actually works better there, faster and seems to have less loading issues on various pages. For SteamOS, it seems to be only a container for running Steam on big picture, so if you were thinking about getting it on your computer, I wouldn't really recommend it.

Attached Files:

2. Sholden

Sholden Administrator Staff Member Guru Recruiter

Money:
    $440
    What I am really looking forward to is the game streaming technology. I don't care much about the Steam OS or controller but if it makes everything work better on other versions of Linux I will be happy :D
  3. ZirMc

ZirMc RETIRED Staff Member Guru Recruiter

Money:
    $230
    It is a bold move. Linux has come a long way the past 5 or so years, and in my opinion is now much much better than Windows, also in terms of UI and simplicity. Only thing they need now is 3rd party support and commercial software. Bringing games to Linux is a huge step in that direction, and we are already seeing lots of indie games running on Linux (even Bastion, and that was originally developed with XNA, which have no Linux counter part AFAIK).

As for SteamOS, as it looks now, it seems to be a container for running Steam in big window mode, nothing more. I would not use it as my primary desktop, would rather just install Debian or Ubuntu and Steam seperately.
  4. Sholden

Sholden Administrator Staff Member Guru Recruiter

Money:
    $440
    Honestly as soon as League of Legends gets a linux client I will probably use linux as my main OS. Considering its the main game I play.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013