Christmas Giveaway

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by ZirMc, Dec 17, 2013.

1. ZirMc

ZirMc RETIRED Staff Member Guru Recruiter

Money:
    $230
    For good measure, I had a few beers and decided to do a Christmas giveaway. As per the other giveaway, it will be Steam only, so you should not want this if you cannot run or acccept the game (basically, you need a computer that can handle it).

So, to up the ante, I am giving away one copy of Call of Duty: Ghost. I really wanted to Battlefield 4, but Origin doesn't enter the same way. Anyway, I don't really want to do a big deal out of this give away, so I will make it easy.

What you need:

1. Steam account and a computer that can run Ghost, I really don't want to give this to anyone who can't run it.

2. Registered on this site, submitted your clan and have at least 1 like (seriously, I will like any high quality post made here, so far I read them all).

3. Post in this thread that you want the game.

I want to do this before christmas, so on the morning 25th I will pick a winner (or afternoon, depending on when I get up). I already have the game in my inventory, and I will never play it my self, so it is itching to get out of my hands, so be sure to tell your friends and whatever. I know I wont!

For the record, as I pick the winner on random, staff members will be elligible to enter if they so choose.

Attached Files:

2. redrobin347

redrobin347 Recruiter Recruiter

Money:
    $215
    Merry Christmas, But i will not accept any CoD game unless you pay me for it as well. CoD and say $20.....deal.
  3. ZirMc

Money:
    $230
    If push came to shove, I am pretty sure you wouldn't say no to free stuff.....
  4. Sholden

Sholden Administrator Staff Member Guru Recruiter

Money:
    $440
    Hey, I have nothing to lose might as well enter.
  5. ZirMc

Money:
    $230
    So far, your chances are pretty good :joyful:
  6. Elf

Elf Recruiter Recruiter

Money:
    $195
    Nice, if it was BF4 or FIFA 14 for PS4 I would have entered, now good luck to the rest
  7. ZirMc

Money:
    $230
    unfortunately, consoles doesn't offer the same gifting options as Steam does :(
  8. ZirMc

Money:
    $230
    As there is only one participants, I am going to let it run until the 27th, to see if anyone else signs up. Again, if you feel barred by the requirement, try making a decent post in the games forums, I more or less like them all as long as they are more than 3 words and a nod.
  9. Elf

Elf Recruiter Recruiter

Money:
    $195
    It looks like we almost have a winner haha :)
  10. ZirMc

Money:
    $230
    Yup, thought it would be more interest in this. Maybe I should have just picked up the Walking Dead Season 2 instead, as that requires much less computere to run...

Wish I could do the same for consoles, but you just can't gift game the same way there. Even gift cards are region locked, so you can't really do give aways without massive limitations....
  11. Elf

Elf Recruiter Recruiter

Money:
    $195
    Yeah me too. I don't think it wouldn't make any difference if you had picked Walking Dead Season 2 or any other game instead, Call Of Duty is still one of the most popular games, so if that didn't get more guys into the contest, then any other game had the same problem.

The PS4 and the PS4 games are region free, so you can buy a game or the console anywhere and play on it anywhere. However, there isn't anything like Steam for consoles, so that makes it a little bit more difficult.
  12. ZirMc

Money:
    $230
    PS3 games were region free, but the DLC weren't. So if you had a North American PSN account, and bought a game in Europe you werent guaranteed to be able to buy DLC for that game, without creating another account. I think Xbox had similar issues.

Even the PSN Cards and XBL cards are the same way, they are region coded and will not work cross regions. It is bascially the most retarded thing about consoles, they seem to lock things across regions, even though they are claiming to be region free.
  13. Sholden

Sholden Administrator Staff Member Guru Recruiter

Money:
    $440
    Steam are going to allow publishers to disable cross region gifting. I forget where I saw it but I will link it when I find it

EDIT:
    Found it here
  14. ZirMc

Money:
    $230
    That is bad news, that is one of the huge benefits of Steam, being able to gift stuff world wide..... Hopefully the use will stay limited by the publishers....
  15. Elf

Elf Recruiter Recruiter

Money:
    $195
    Everyone on PS3 had multiple accounts with access to multiple stores (USA, UK etc.). Why would they region lock all this stuff? What are the advantage for the producers to region lock PSN Cards and DLC?
  16. ZirMc

Money:
    $230
    It keeps consumers to speculate in currency, and they limit import from cheaper regions. I don't really know why they would, I know they did and was region locking for the longest time.

Anyway, it seems we have a winner, will forward the game to @Sholden shortly :)
  17. Elf

Elf Recruiter Recruiter

Money:
    $195
    Yeah, congratz Sholden, have fun with COD: Ghost :)
    ZirMc likes this.
  18. ZirMc

Money:
    $230
    Lesson learned though, next giveaway will be Minecraft, Terraria, The Walking Dead or something that really have lower minimum requirements, so more will be able to run the games. There seem to be a great deal of console gamers here, and I want them to be able to enter as well. I will try to pick games that an average laptop will be able to run.
  19. Elf

Elf Recruiter Recruiter

Money:
    $195
    I wouldn't mind a PS4 give away haha, at least there will be the same amount of competition as in this Giveaway :p
  20. ZirMc

Money:
    $230
    There is no way of doing that in a effortless way. Steam is brilliant for this sort of thing, cause I can just gift the game and no effort. Also, there will be no shipping fees. For a PSN or XBL give away, that won't work, and the closest thing would be a PSN or XBL Card, and that will be region locked (in fact, I am not sure if it is possible to use a card outside the country it is bought in, due to currency exchange etc).

Trust me, I did some research on this a while back, and there was really no way of doing a give away except buying a hardcopy of a game, then shipping it. With international shipping, that would just double the cost, and depending on local laws the game might be stuck in customs and the recipient would have to pay for it regardless. I was thinking alternatives, but there wasn't anything that was really sticking out as a viable option.

That is why I would rather do low end PC games, that are really really good, so that even though not everyone would be able to play them, anyone with a PC of some kind should be able to play them. It is not perfect, but it is the closest thing to "fair" when dealing with multiple platforms and regions.